Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tiny Treasure Trunks


Today begins another Sizzix Scoreboard Blog Hop.  This time the die we are all using is the Rectangle Box.  The box is perfect for a variety of uses and open to many possibilities.  As you visit each of the participating blogs you will get an idea of how many ways this little box can be used.

In my package of dies, I happened to find two of this particular die.  I couldn't pass up the opportunity to use both of them and hope you enjoy seeing how I chose to design them.

The mat board that the Eileen uses to cut the shapes is a wonderful surface for any medium.  I was delighted to have the two so I could "experiment".

For this little red box I used Ranger's Distress Crackle Paint, from the Tim Holtz line, to paint the box.  I applied a thick layer to the box and allowed it to dry well.  The paint will create a interesting crackle effect.  Once the paint dries and cracks, I wiped the surface with Black Soot Distress Ink.  The box was then constructed using wide red line tape.  I used ribbon to  hold the lid of the box to the bottom portion.  Fabric roses and velvet paper leaves (Sizzix dies) adorn the top.  The box is tied closed with a length of coordinating silk ribbon.  (NOTE: Decorative paper was glued to the inside of the box to give a finished look.)

Being a collector of "old" things and also someone who likes working with metal was the inspiration for the other box.  It was meant to look like one of the old "hump top" trunks that we have.  I traced the pattern from the box onto a piece of lightweight aluminum by AMACO.  The pattern is cut out, leaving about 1/4" for turning to the inside of the box.  Paint or line the inside of the box before proceeding.  Cut a piece of red line adhesive the same as the box die.  Apply the adhesive to the box; remove the second backing sheet and place it onto the cut piece of aluminum.  Use a small brayer to roll over the metal to adhere the two layers together.  Carefully turn the edges to the other side, using a brayer of bone folder to smooth the edges.  (NOTE:  Small stripes of red line tape can be applied to the edges to hold in place.)  Using a variety of my metal embossing tools, I patterned the surface of the metal.  The embossed surface was colored using Ranger Adirondack Alcohol Ink in Caramel.  The box was constructed the same way as the directions given above.  The lid was attached using small paper brads.  I added some small decorative metal pieces for added embellishments.  Two long lengths of two-tone satin ribbon is used to tie the box closed.

I hope you enjoy my designs!  Eileen's Scoreboard designs are so much fun to work with.  I hope you will leave me a comment.  No need to make it long, but I would love to hear your thoughts.
                                        "YOU CAN WIN A DIE"
         If you enjoyed seeing these ScoreBoard projects on the hop, please leave a comment here or on Eileen Hull's blog so we know you stopped by. This makes you eligible for a random drawing for a ScoreBoards die! 
The next date will be May 15th ... We'll be making "cakes".  Come  follow the blogs:
Ann Butler
Candace Windham
Carla Schauer
Cindi Bisson
Eileen Hull
Einat Kessler
J. Goode
Julie McGuffee
Karen Burniston
Laura Bray
Lisa Rojas
Lorine Mason
Madeline Arendt
Melody Bradley
Michelle Cummings
Modern Surrealist
Niki Meiners
Roxi Phillips
Sandy Laipply
Sparkle's Studio
Veronica Goff

12 comments:

  1. Madeline, These boxes are precious, thanks so much for showing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always learn so much from you and your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love distressed projects, it automatically makes it look antique-e. Just amazing and so beautiful! Thanks for the blog hop they are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes these are truly Tiny Treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are so pretty! love the crackle paint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your color choices - these are so pretty. The ribbons around the top are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this box, love the metal works with the Alcohol Inks, Just gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a beautiful box. love the colors and the metal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love both of these! I especially like the tie on the red box. I have been using Velcro dots for my box projects, but this adds more interest. The metallic box is just drop-dead gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Madeline,
    I am in awe of what you do! How I wish we lived closer!! Sugar Camp needs someone like you!

    ReplyDelete