Monday, February 6, 2012

Designer Craft Connection-February - CHA & Pinterest

Last week many designers who are part of this group attended the CHA trade show in Anaheim, California.  This particular show takes place twice a year.  The winter show (the larger one) is usually in Anaheim and the summer show (some what smaller) is in the midwest, at the convention center in Rosemont, Illinois.

I have been unable to attend the winter show for a few years now, so I rely on those who I know that were able to attend to share what they saw and what they think.

Many of the designers are sharing "pins" on a group pinboard to give some ideas of what they saw or did at the show.  Comments and photos are still being shared since they all returned from the show.  There is nothing like being there and seeing all the wonderful new ideas the industry has to offer.  My hope is that the stores chose some wonderful new products to share with the consumers.  It's always amazed me how many things shown at the show never make it to the consumer or only a limited amount of new products get into the consumers hands.  It's kind of a shame!


Of course as always the papers that come out at each show are truly amazing.  A few of my "favs" are Graphic 45, Cosmo Cricket, and DCWV.  This is only three of the many wonderful companies that design papers.  I do very limited "scrap booking", I still do a variety of paper crafting, so I'm always looking at papers that can be used in very different ways then scrap booking.


The designs for new "dies" are always something I have a huge interest in.  So many wonderful dies are available from a variety of manufacturers.  The nice thing is that they are making many of them compatible with the various systems.  Smart move for the consumer!  My favorites are by Sizzix and Spellbinders.
Spellbinders

I noticed how knitting and crocheting are continuing to interest more and more people.  So happy to see this.  Though quilting will always remain popular I feel, but this show doesn't deal with this medium as much as Quilt Market show in the fall down in Houston or the spring show that is in various parts of the country each year.  I get the feeling that sewing is making a come back ever so slightly.

Of course the "Do-it-yourself" genre is going strong and the "eco-friendly" ideas are catching on and I just love that.
Ranger
Another company that I love is Ranger.  Their products are can be used by more then the "stampers" out there and for more than just paper. There are so  many other companies that make some amazing products for the creative people out there and way too many to share.

I can't go on with this post without mentioning PINTEREST.  I realize it's been out there  for a while now, but I was unable to see what this was all about because of what was going on around me last year.  Heard other designer friends talking about and didn't give it much thought.  I also wondered what and how can it would do for me to become interested in this.  Well anyone who has checked it out will probably say - "they are hooked"!  I have folders in my file cabinet with ideas of several topics, that I have saved, dating back many, many years.  Each time I get a "brainstorm", I go to those files and search for various things.  It's very time consuming.  Pinterest has put numerous ideas at my fingertips.  Love it!!!

So just after I discovered it I shared it with my daughter, daughter-in-law, other son's girlfriend, some relatives and friends - yes, they are all hooked.  We discuss ideas we have seen and shared.  Even the guys are interested in several topics.   If for some reason you haven't seen or heard of it here's a link to my Pinboards: http://pinterest.com/mjagrammie/

No comments:

Post a Comment